In this article we’ll discuss about how to boost your immune system. For information, I would like to tell that immune system is a kind of shield system or mechanism of our body that helps us to fight with external microbial infections and keep them away from our body. If this system fails to do so, we get infected and finally get sick. Depending on severity of infection we take time to recover back from sickness. But some people are not so lucky. So in this way it plays a vital role for us in staying healthy or staying alive. The immune system of our body decreases with the increasing age and some other factors are also responsible for it weakening. This immune system can be made stronger to fight back better from external pathogens by adding some habits, food and lifestyle. Making such effort can help in building a near-perfect immune response.
Why Should I Emphasize on Immune System?
As the COVID-19 disease grew up as such an enormous pandemic, that’s spreading so fast and in uncontrollable way. Even countries like America has the highest number of death and casualty. All the researchers and scientist are trying hard to find proper medication and vaccine against it. Till date studies have clearly mentioned that boos your immune system to fight against coronavirus.
All the observations of COVID-19 patients found that better immune system or strong immune system helps you to fight better with coronavirus. Reports have also shown that COVID-19 attacks severely person with weak immune system, older adults (age over 60), person having health issues like, High blood pressure, Heart disease, Lung disease, Asthma, Kidney disease that needs dialysis, Obesity, Diabetes, Cancer treatment, especially chemotherapy, Liver disease, Cigarette smoking.
What Factors Effect Immune System?
There are several factors that affect our immune system, some factors are internal like age, diet, sleep etc. while others are external factors like life style, habits and stress. There is no such established interconnection between immune system and above mentioned factors, but studies reveals that modification of mentioned factors that boost your immune system or deteriorate your immune system.
And also this has to be understood that immune system is not a single entity but is a whole system with many cells working together to create an army to fight against disease causing organisms. There are many types of cells in the body that contribute to immune system, different cell are capable of fighting back to different kinds of diseases. So simply we need to create a harmony and balance between immune system effecting factors and immune system to live into a healthy body.
How to Improve Immune System?
- Eat Healthy Diet: Like any other army, immune system also relies on its supply. Good and regular supply of proper nourishment and essential items through a healthy diet helps you to boost your immune system. This has also been noticed that people living in poverty and malnourished conditions are more prone to infectious disease, which can be result of poor immune system.
The nutrient we get form food especially from plant based food like fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices lead to a healthy immune system. All the plant based food contains anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties that are synthesized by plants. Few medical treatment systems like Homeopathy and Ayurveda advocates the same doctrine.
Spices have found to have some anti-microbial properties that can prevent spoiling of food for a long duration of time. Also minerals like folate, zinc, selenium, copper and vitamins like A, C, E, B6 and B12 also boost immune system. Protein also has a major role in healthy immune system, as all the cells including the one responsible for immune system are all made of it. Sea food, lean meat and poultry add an adequate amount of protein to your diet.
Antioxidants, like Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Beta-Carotene, are found to be primary type of nutrient that helpls you to boost your immune system. Some of the fruits and vegetables that contain at least one antioxidant are:
- Green, yellow and red peppers
- Turnip and collard greens
- Sweet potato
Like any other army, immune system also relies on its supply. Good and regular supply of proper nourishment and essential items through a healthy diet helps you to boost your immune system. Micronutrient, vitamins, proteins and carbohydrates are are the building blocks of immune system. Protein has a major role in healthy immune system, as all the cells including the one responsible for immune system are all made of it. Micronutrients like folate, zinc, selenium, copper and vitamins like A, C, E, B6 and B12 provide extra boost to your immune system
Fruits and vegetables are considered as immune booster because all plant based food contains anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties that are synthesized by plants. Having plant based food included in your diet not only helps you to boost your immune system. Also its high fiber content can also keep your digestion healthy and aids to weight loss also. Antioxidant rich foods are high immune booster. Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Beta-Carotene are major immune booster nutrients that have high oxidant value. Here’s a list of food that contains one of above mentioned antioxidant:
- Green, yellow and red peppers
- Turnip and collard greens
- Sweet potato
The seasonal fruits has very high effect on your immune system. Eating them on regular basis can help you a lot. The best way to have maximum amount of nutrients from any food item is not to overcook them. Overcooking them for a long time can destroy all the effectiveness of medicinal properties of food. Studies suggest that eating raw or slightly steamed vegetables, can increase absorption of nutrients from foods many folds. I know its not good to eat raw or lightly cooked vegetable all the time, but try it whenever its possible.
- Consuming Plenty Amount of Water: Our body is made up of 70% of water and it plays a vital role in maintaining our health. It helps in transporting proper health nutrition to each cell in our body and flush out the toxins out. Most of us also know that how much exerted we feel when we are feeling thirsty or deficient of water in our body. There are numerous number of benefits that water provide to maintain balance in our body. Kidney is responsible for flushing out all the major toxins and waster products of our body out. The water plays a crucial role in helping kidney to eliminate all the wastes out of our body. Less the toxins in our body, more our body and skin glows, reflecting that there is balance inside our body. Healthier the body means our body’s immune system is strong enough to fight diseases.
- Proper Sleep and Rest. Adequate rest and scheduled sleeps are very important for healthy immune system of our body. Let me explain how this work, whenever we are not having adequate amount of sleep and rest. Due to which the stress develops, and studies have shown that stress can lead to decrease our focus and alertness. Lack of sleep can result decrease in the count of T-Cells in blood. T-Cells are responsible for alerting our immune system against diseases like cold and flu. Disturbed sleep can also cause increase of inflammatory cytokines. Agressive growth ofcytokines can cause disturbed immune system.Proper rest and required amount of sleep helps it to replenish it deficient units and store energy to function in proper order. Having proper rest and sleep let’s your body to achieve a stress less state, which will surely improve your immune system.
- Exercise Regularly. Good immune system requires activities as much as it does rest. During exercise or at the time of our physical activities, our breathing increases and our body temperature and sweating also increases. All these factors lead to elimination of toxins out of our body by different means. Our immune system also goes into a high alert mode during exercise. It is like training drill performed by military to keep their soldiers fit. One more point is that, exercising has reducing effect on stress, study reveals. Lower stress level can help immune system to function in better way.
Your exercise can vary from brisk walking jogging to playing Lawn Tennis. All depends on your physical conditions and capabilities. Whatever the medium is, some rigorous physical activity is important and must. To maintain a healthy body and strong immune system, it’s advised to workout of at least 30 minutes.
So here we came to know about basics of how to boost your immune system. Though there are many other ways of achieving good immune system. But I tried to stick to the basic and beginning level of improving immune system. Above mentioned habits or methods don’t require any adding or removing of your habits. Just start doing your daily things in a healthy way. Practising above mentioned suggestion can help anyone to achieve valuable benefits out of it.